Life After NEXCOM Retirement...

THe Musings of a 60ish Retired Woman documenting her Life after Retirement.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Flotsam and Jetsam...

Why do they say weak as a kitten? those little suckers are strong!!!

Why do we say sick as a dog? I have never seen a sick dog.

Why is it when you barf for 12 hours your tummy muscles and back hurt for 48?

Why is it when you go to town looking your absolute worst is the time you are going to see people you have not seen in YEARS? >:(

Who coined the phrase Flotsam and Jetsam?

I believe I will live. I am feeling better, and managed yesterday to keep chicken noodle soup down. and a bottle of apple juice. I am hungry right now, so I will go eat something comforting like mashed potatoes, or mac and cheese, or I could make some bread pudding? or a PB&J...

I bought some lemon and ginger tea, never tried it, so I will fix a cup of that too.

Next I will go take a hot steamy shower, and WASH MY SKANKY HAIR!! I did not realize how bad it was until I was on my way home from town, and smelled dirty hair, and thought it was Sadie...it wasn't!! ARRGGHH!!!

Sick is not fun!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was just going to bed, when I turned to Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN and heard him say that all 12 miners were found alive!!

I was still awake and watching with bated breath when Anderson Cooper was told an hour or so later, that only 1 young man had survived!

How in God's name can something be mis-communicated like that to all of those family members? How in God's Name are they going to live with that ? I know there are those out there that will blame EVERYTHING on THE GOVERNMENT or THE MANAGERS...but after listening to the President of the Company at the press conference just now, It appears that one of the rescue workers 13ooo feet under the ground was overheard by "someone in the COmmand Center" and then it went from there. Dear Lord give them ALL PEACE!

I blame the press, ONCE AGAIN, for creating a wild frenzy to be FIRST with the BREAKING NEWS. ANderson Cooper right up there with the worst of them.

BRING BACK AARON BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 Comments:

  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Sally said…

    I know it's not fun; glad you're feeling better though. You've never seen a sick dog? Well, you shoulda been here a couple of days ago. I switched Katie from dry to canned food as she wasn't eating enough. Anyway, she DOES not like chicken. Oh no, she's gotta have beef. Lesson learned. And, now she's fine. Thanks for the tip about pictures - it worked!! :)

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Sounds like you had a little too much fun on New Year's Eve.

    Living on the coast, you need to know the meaning of flotsam and jetsam. They both refer to stuff floating on the ocean. Jetsam refer to stuff thrown off of boats while flotsam is other detritus, such as driftwood. All of it will wind up on your beach.

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The simple answer to all the questions ya posed is that "Murphy rules ALL"... ;-) ;-)

     
  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Just read the news...the CEO was named HATFIELD and the Live Miner was MCCLOY!! really!!

     
  • At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When you have enough interest in things to start asking questions like those you must be on the road to recovery! Glad to hear you're starting to feel better, Mary Lou.

     
  • At 4:15 AM, Blogger Sally said…

    Those poor families. Such a tragedy, and to be put through "good" only to hear the worst. Shame on the news.

     
  • At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to have one's hopes dashed like that. Those poor families.

     
  • At 5:31 AM, Blogger David said…

    No one can explain that mixup to those who hopes were so cruelly dashed.

    Hope that you are getting your strength back today.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My heart goes out to all the families of the miners, what a tradgedy and for the families, there will be no peace for a long time.

    I hope you're feeling much better today Mary Lou and you'll be up chasing Sadie down the road in your nightwear again, before you know it. *chuckles*

    P.S. I haven't received your Birthday card yet, but our mail has been so heavy with the holiday and all, I just received my statement from the hospital yesterday, which I should have received the last Friday in December... so maybe today I'll get the card. Thanks a bunch, you're such a sweetheart! xoxoxo

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Joan said…

    You are right Mary Lou...bring back Aaron Brown, I loved him. I was so pissed when he was replaced.

    I can't even imagine how the families of the miners are dealing with this situation...its awful.

    Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better..dang lobster!!

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Brenda said…

    I'm glad that bug didn't keep you and that you're feeling better. I have a day off from the tax office today and went back to bed after getting Zach off to school. I been keeping myself awake coughing.

    So sad about the miners and so horrible for their families to have their hopes up and then dashed.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope dashed to ruins is a terrible thing. How awful that they got the message backwards. I think most of us want to be able to bring good news. They were so eager for good news. How dreadful that it couldn't be good. I feel like I know something of their grief. I am moved to tears for those families.

    Glad you're getting better, Mary Lou.
    nj

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger ellen said…

    As if the mining disaster wasn't enough of a tragedy already....those poor families.

    Glad you are on the mend; get well soon.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger wanda said…

    I loved Aaron too!
    But (hanging head in shame) I kinda like Anderson as well. It wasn't his fault the people in the mine got things mixed up.
    Last night I listened to the 911 tapes and clearly someone 'down' in the mine sent up the message that the miners had been found. The operater ask if they were alive and he said "I THINK so". She then sent out a request for medivacs to transport patientes and that is how the whole tragic affair got spun wildly out of control.
    The woman from MSNBC (Rita Cosby I think) was the first one to broadcast that the miners were alive. At least that's what SHE said.
    The bottom line is this was a tragedy that could have been prevented. The responsibility lies directly with the owner and with the failure of the goverment to force him to follow up on the 9 safety violations he'd accrued over the past year. Hopefully Mr Hatfield will pay dearly for his callous disregard for the safety of those who worked for him.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home